Part Time Master’s Degree
Full Time (FT) and Part Time(PT)
There are two dedication schemes for master’s degree at POSMEC: Full Time (FTD) and Part Time (PT). Master’s students in FT must maintain average weekly workload not less than forty (40) hours of exclusive dedication to the activities related to the course, either at the stage in which they will be studying the disciplines or at the development of the thesis stage.
Only students in FT regime are eligible to receive scholarships funded by POSMEC.
Part Time (PT)
Master’s students who cannot afford to dedicate at least 40 hours per week to the course are considered students on part time regime (PT) to POSMEC.
This group is usually formed by professionals that act in companies or other organizations and, at the same time, carry the master at the pace at which it is possible. To create conditions that allow the development of high quality dissertations within the statutory deadlines, since 2014’s July the conditions of admission in the Master’s program with PD at POSMEC was modified by the following resolution: Resolucao_Dedicacao_Exclusiva_Parcial (03-POSMEC-2014).
To apply for Master’s Degree with PT at POSMEC, it’s required:
- Have already attended to all the courses required for the intended concentration area;
- Submit copy of Master’s Dissertation Project in accordance with Resolution Standards PDM (02-POSMEC-2014);
- Show proficiency in English and in another foreign language. Foreign students also have to show proficiency in Portuguese.
- Submit a statement of accredited teacher at POSMEC stating his willingness to guide the student.
The subjects must be attended previously to the entrance by enrollments in isolated disciplines. The selection committee must validate a minimum of 18 credits attended at the offered courses and other subjects with grades A or B compatible with the desired concentration area. The deadline for validation of subjects taken is 10 years.
The script of the Master’s Dissertation Project must be complete at the moment of the inscription. For this, the previous dialogue with the professor who is willing to advise the Master’s student is required.
Entry Period and Notice
Admission in Masters in POSMEC occurs through the Notice of Selection. Two entries per year are possible:
|Beginning of the Master’s Degree||Application Period|
|March||October and November of previous year|
|August||April and May of the same year|
The Notice of Selection establishes the enrollment periods, the number of vacancies available and the necessary documents to effect the registration.
The Selection Process
The selection process has two stages. At first, the candidates are evaluated by a committee of teachers of the intended concentration area. Several elements of the candidate will be evaluated, including the school record of graduation, additional subjects taken as isolated disciplines, résumé analysis, reference letters, P&D experience etc. Selected students at the first stage are invited to present orally their Master’s Dissertation Project (PDM) towards the examining committee appointed by POSMEC. At this second stage, the defense must happen within the deadline established by Noticeof Selection. If approved in the defense of the PDM, the candidate will be qualified to register as a regular student at the beginning of the next school period. From the date of registration starts the counting of a maximum period of two years for the conclusion and defense of the dissertation.
To formalize registration in POSMEC the candidate must follow the instructions and deadlines set out in the Notice of Selection for the Masters. The following items are required:
- Fill out the application form on CAPG system.
- Application form filled out (Application Form);
- School record of the subjects taken as isolated disciplines;
- School record of undergraduation;
- Exemplar of defense of the Master’s Dissertation Project in accordance with the Standards PDM resolution (02-POSMEC-2014)
- Copy of Graduation Certificate;
- Two photographs 3 × 4;
- Certified copy of the CPF and civil ID card;
- Certified copy of the birth/marriage certificate;
- “Curriculum Vitae” of the candidate (or free Lattes format);
- Two reference letters. (Reference Form)
The foreign students, in addition to the above documentation, must send the copy of the certificate of Graduation with the consular seal of the Brazilian Embassy in the country of origin; copy of the passport data; copy of the ID card.
The 11th item must be sent directly to POSMEC by the emitter. The other documents must be posted and sent for POSMEC’s secretariat at the address below or hand delivered.
Programa de Pós-Graduação em Engenharia Mecânica/UFSC
Centro Tecnológico – UFSC – Cx.P. 476 – Bairro Trindade
88040-900 – Florianópolis – SC