Part Time Doctorate
Full Time (FT) and Part Time(PT)
There are two dedication schemes for doctorate at POSMEC: Full Time (FTD) and Part Time (PT). Doctorate students in ED must maintain average weekly workload not less than forty (40) hours of exclusive dedication to the activities related to the course, either at the stage in which they will be studying the disciplines or at the development of the thesis stage.
Only students in FT regime are eligible to receive scholarships funded by POSMEC.
Part Time (PT)
Doctorate students who cannot afford to dedicate at least 40 hours per week to the course are considered students on partial dedication regime (PT) to POSMEC.
This group is usually formed by professionals that act in companies or other organizations and, at the same time, carry the doctorate at the pace at which it is possible. To create conditions that allow the development of high quality doctoral thesis within the statutory deadlines, since 2014′s July the conditions of admission in the doctorate program with PT at POSMEC was modified by the following resolution: Resolucao_Dedicacao_Exclusiva_Parcial (03-POSMEC-2014).
To apply for doctorate with PT at POSMEC, it’s required:
- Having a Master’s Degree;
- Have already attended to all the courses required for the intended concentration area;
- Submit a written version of the Doctoral Qualifying Exam;
- Show proficiency in English and in another foreign language. Foreign students also have to show proficiency in Portuguese.
The courses must be attended previously to the entrance by enrollments in isolated disciplines. The selection committee can validate up to 24 credits attended at master’s degree and other subjects with concepts A or B compatible with the desired concentration area, which together must result in at least 36 credits. The deadline for validation of courses already taken is 10 years.
The script of the Doctoral Qualifying Exam must be complete at the moment of the inscription. For this, the previous dialogue with the teacher who is willing to guide the doctoral student is required.
The submission for doctorate in PT regime can be done at any time of the year. In other words, continuous flow.
The Selection Process
The selection process has two stages. At first, the candidates are evaluated by a committee of profesors of the intended concentration area. Several elements of the candidate will be evaluated, including the school record of graduation and master’s degree, additional courses taken as isolated disciplines, résumé analysis, reference letters, P&D experience, the exemplar of the Doctoral Qualifying Exam etc. Selected students at the first stage are invited to present orally their Doctoral Qualifying Exam (EQ) towards the examining committee appointed by POSMEC. At this second stage, the defense must happen within 120 days from the date of publication of the results of the first stage. If approved in the defense of the EQ, the candidate will be qualified to enroll as a regular student at the beginning of the next school period. From the date of registration starts the counting of a maximum period of four years for the conclusion and defense of the doctoral thesis.
Required Documents (PT)
To formalize the inscription at POSMEC, the candidate to doctorate must present the following items:
- Fill out the application form on CAPG system.
- Application form filled out (Application Form);
- School record of undergraduation;
- School record of master’s degree (to validate subjects taken in another institution, you must attach to the school record the summary of each one of the subjects);
- Copy of Graduation Certificate;
- Certified copy of Master’s degree certificate or certificate of dissertation defense;
- Two photographs 3×4;
- Certified copy of the civil ID and CPF;
- Certified copy of the birth/marriage certificate;
- “Curriculum Vitae” of the candidate (free form or Lattes);
- Two reference letters (Reference Form)
- Letter of recommendation from the advisor of the Master’s degree;
- Work plan made in common agreement among the adviser (maximum of 10 pages)
- Declaration of accredited teacher of the program voicing their agreement to advise the candidate on the intended work plan;
- Indicate the language of your choice between German, Spanish, French or Italian to take the second proficiency exam.
The foreign students, in addition to the above documentation, must send the copy of the certificate of Master’s Degree with the consular seal of the Brazilian Embassy in the country of origin; copy of the passport data; copy of the identity card of foreign.
The 11th item must be sent directly to POSMEC by the emitter. The other documents must be posted and sent for POSMEC’s secretariat at the address below or hand delivered.
Programa de Pós-Graduação em Engenharia Mecânica/UFSC
Centro Tecnológico – UFSC – Cx.P. 476 – Bairro Trindade
88040-900 – Florianópolis – SC