Part-Time Doctoral Degree
Doctoral students who cannot afford to dedicate at least 40 hours per week to the program are considered part-time (PT) students to POSMEC.
This group is usually formed by professionals that work in companies or other organizations and pursue their degree in parallel, at the pace at which it is possible. To create conditions that allow the development of high quality dissertations within the statutory deadlines, since July 2014 the conditions of admission in the POSMEC program in a PT regime were modified by the following resolution: Resolucao_Dedicacao_Exclusiva_Parcial (03-POSMEC-2014).
Application for Admission
To apply for admission in POSMEC as a part-time doctoral student, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Have a Master’s degree;
- Have attended all courses required for the intended concentration area;
- Submit a copy of the Doctoral Qualifying Exam;
- Show proficiency in English and in another foreign language. Foreign students also have to show proficiency in Portuguese.
The courses must have been attended by the applicant prior to the admission, through single course enrollments. The selection committee can validate up to 24 credits corresponding to courses attended in the master’s program and to other courses in which the applicant has obtained a grade of A or B (or in an equivalent scale) and that are compatible with the desired concentration area. These together must result in a minimum of 36 credits. The deadline for validating courses previously taken is 10 years.
The text of the Doctoral Qualifying Exam must be ready at the moment of the application. For this, the previous dialogue with the professor who is willing to advise the doctoral student is required.
Application for admission in the doctoral program in a part-time regime can be done at any time of the year.
The Selection Process
The selection process has two stages. At first, the applicants are evaluated by a committee formed by faculty members of the intended concentration area. Several aspects are considered in the evaluation, including the undergraduate and graduate transcripts, additional courses taken as single courses, CV analysis, reference letters, R&D experience, copy of the Doctoral Qualifying Exam, etc.
Applicants in the first stage are required to present their Doctoral Qualifying Exam (QE) orally before an examining committee appointed by POSMEC. At this second stage, the defense must happen within 120 days from the date of publication of the first stage results. If approved in the QE defense, the applicant will be qualified to register as a regular student at the beginning of the next academic term. Starting from the date of registration, the will have a maximum period of four years to complete and defend the doctoral dissertation.
Required Documents (PT)
To apply for admission in POSMEC as a part-time doctoral student, the applicant must present the following items:
- Fill out the application form on CAPG system.
- Application form filled out (Application Form);
- Undergraduate transcript;
- Graduate transcript (in order to validate courses taken in another institution, you must attach the respective course descriptions);
- Certified copy of undergraduate diploma;
- Certified copy of Master’s diploma, or record of Master’s thesis defense;
- Two photographs 3×4;
- Certified copy of the civil ID and CPF;
- Certified copy of the birth/marriage certificate;
- “Curriculum Vitae” (free form or Lattes);
- Copy of the Doctoral Qualifying Exam;
- Letter of recommendation from the Master’s degree supervisor;
- Statement from an accredited faculty member of the program stating his/her agreement to advise the applicant on the intended work plan;
- Indicate the language of your choice (German, Spanish, French or Italian) to take the second proficiency exam.
- Two reference letters (Reference Form)
In addition to the above documentation, foreign applicants must send the copy of the Master diploma with the consular seal of the Brazilian Embassy in the country of origin; copy of the passport data page; and copy of the RNE (identity card for foreigners).
The item 15 must be sent directly to POSMEC by the informant. The other documents must be posted and sent to POSMEC office at the address provided below or hand delivered.
Programa de Pós-Graduação em Engenharia Mecânica/UFSC