Full Time Doctorate
Full Time (FT) and Part Time(PT)
There are two dedication schemes for doctorate at POSMEC: Full Time (FTD) and Part Time (PT). Doctorate students in ED must maintain average weekly workload not less than forty (40) hours of exclusive dedication to the activities related to the course, either at the stage in which they will be studying the disciplines or at the development of the thesis stage.
Only students in FT regime are eligible to receive scholarships funded by POSMEC.
The inscription for doctorate can be done at any time of the year. After the approval, the activation of the registration and scholarships only occurs at the beginning of the next school period
The Selection Process
For each candidate to doctorate is designed a Committee of Selection formed by three professors of POSMEC acting in the area of interest of the candidate. The selection of the candidates is made based on the documentation sent at the time of the inscription. Several parameters are evaluated, including the school record of graduation and masters degree, résumé analysis, reference letters, P&D experience, presentation of work plan etc. The Committee of Selection defines the acceptance or not of the candidate – as well, in case of approval, which disciplines of the master’s degree are going to be validated. Is required for the doctorate an academic record superior than 3,25 on a scale of 0 to 4 (8,125 on a scale of 0 to 10).
The scholarships available and administered by POSMEC are allocated to the new doctoral students by the Scholarships Committee.
Required Documents (FT)
To formalize registration at POSMEC, the candidate to doctorate must present the following items:
- Fill out the application form on CAPG system.
- Application form filled out (Application Form);
- School record of undergraduation course;
- School record of master’s degree (to validate subjects taken in another institution, you must attach to the school record the summary of each one of the courses);
- Copy of Graduation Certificate;
- Certified copy of Master’s degree certificate or certificate of Master thesis defense;
- Two photographs 3×4;
- Certified copy of the civil ID and CPF;
- Certified copy of the birth/marriage certificate;
- “Curriculum Vitae” of the candidate (free form or Lattes);
- Two reference letters (Reference Form)
- Letter of recommendation from the adviser of the Master’s degree;
- Work plan made in common agreement among the adviser (maximum of 10 pages)
- Declaration of accredited professor of the program stating his/her agreement to advise the candidate on the intended work plan;
- Indicate the language of your choice between German, Spanish, French or Italian to take the second language proficiency exam.
The foreign students, in addition to the above documentation, must send the copy of the certificate of Master’s Degree with the consular seal of the Brazilian Embassy in the country of origin; copy of the passport data; copy of the identity card of foreign.
The 11th item must be sent directly to POSMEC by the emitter. The other documents must be posted and sent for POSMEC’s secretariat at the address below or hand delivered.
Programa de Pós-Graduação em Engenharia Mecânica/UFSC
Centro Tecnológico – UFSC – Cx.P. 476 – Bairro Trindade
88040-900 – Florianópolis – SC